Friday, May 24, 2013

Time Lapse Video

Last weekend while I had the caterpillars at home, I tried out time lapse photography/video. I set up my dslr camera with a caterpillar that was ready to go into chrysalis and let it got all night, taking a photo every minute and a half. When I woke up I was excited to see how it turned out...the caterpillar was still hanging there and the camera battery had died half way through the night. So, I charged the battery and set it up again through the day. This time it worked! I caught the caterpillar going into his chrysalis. The lesson this time was that the photos needed to be closer together. Regardless, I made it into a video. You will notice that the caterpillar very quickly changes, this is because it happened in a matter of 5 minutes which was only a few photos.
video


I also found an app that makes this process WAY easier. Of course. It is called iTimelapse and it costs $1.99. Worth every penny! You follow all the steps and the app takes the photos and puts them together (renders them) into a video. You can watch the video right there or share it in a variety of ways. Of course my class thought this was as awesome as I did so we tried it at the beginning of their gym class. This video is of them having their free time warm up and then settling in to their squads.
video


I am planning to catch the process of the butterfly emerging using this process as soon as they are ready! Stay tuned :)

- Mrs. Dent Scarcello :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the tame lap veteo. how do you make it go soooooooooooooooooo fast?laine

Anonymous said...

that was fast! we had fun. Let's do it again. rebecca