Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Planning for 10 000 Day

Today we started planning for our 10 000 Day to celebrate having over 10 000 visitors to our blog. We brainstormed our ideas using linoit again. We are still looking for suggestions, leave us a comment with your ideas!
Here is what we have so far:



Last year's 100 Day shirt with 100 tallies

100 Day is always one of my favorite days to plan and have with young students. Everyone loves the activities that are all about counting, exploring 100, learning and having fun at the same time. I was disappointed to think that celebrating 100 day in grade 5 probably wouldn't happen so it was really exciting to discover we could have 10 000 Day. 10 000 is a totally different number to work with than 100, I don't think making a 10 000 Fruit Loop necklace would be a feasable as one with 100! And I won't be able to make a 10 000 shirt like I have for 100 Day with buttons and ribbon tallies. We will have to be creative, which makes it all the more interesting. In math we have been talking about large numbers and are now talking about estimating with large numbers which might come in handy when we are writing a story with 10 000 letters or words! Stay tuned to see how it all turns out!
-Mrs. Dent Scarcello :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Grade 5ers!

I like your ideas for celebrating 10 000 blog visitors!

I think it would be neat for you to figure out where 10 000 footsteps might take you in the world. Just where do you think you'd end up?! Thailand? Australia? Mexico? Italy? Gimli, Manitoba?!

Oh, and of course, Mrs. Dent Scarcello MUST bake a cake . . . chocolate, would be my suggestion!

Can't wait to hear what you have planned!

Ms. Wasney :)

Janet said...

Hello - congratulations!

I remember you discussing the time (I think) it took you to make a whole bunch of dots - based on a book Mrs. Dent-Scarcello read in class.

I think it would be fun for you to estimate how big 10 000 can be - for example how much space would 10 000 dots take; 10 000 backpacks; 10 000 desks; 10 000 classrooms; 10 000 schools. You can estimate and go throughout the school to calculate.

I also wonder how you could collect 10 000 of anything - what would be reasonable to collect? Maybe you could collect 10 000 pennies and donate them to charity. How many pennies would each student need to bring to class?

How many batches would it take to make 10 000 chocolate chip cookies?

Have fun and I hope I can be there to help celebrate this auspicious occasion.

Mrs. Dent

Anonymous said...

Hello Kids! Wow 10,000. That's amazing. If you could send a link your Blog to 10,000 schools across the world think of how fast that number could multiply!

Good luck getting more visitors to your site. I always look forward to reading about your days.

Mrs. Singleton

Anonymous said...

Happy! Happy! I'm so happy we that we got 10,000 visitors onto our Blog!!! I hope we can write about more exiting days like the plastic bag round up and everything else that we do.

I'm glad that we have so many visitors that like to read our blog so that we can keep on writing more and more.

From Kirstyn